Have you got a review coming up and don’t now how to best deal with criticism?
You are not alone!
Criticism at work can stimulate professional and personal growth if you know how to deal with it effectively.
But, it can also be daunting.
Don’t worry, we have created this article to help you get past any uneasy feelings when it comes to criticism at work.
Here are some guidelines for adopting a positive mindset and responding to feedback from supervisors and colleagues.
Taking a Positive View of Criticism at work
- Stay relaxed. If you try to appear calm and confident, you’re more likely to feel that way. Keeping your emotions under control will enable you to listen better. Take some deep breaths and keep your body language open.
- Look on the bright side. If you’re sensitive to criticism, remind yourself of your good qualities and the many things that you do well. Maintain a good work-life balance so you can draw on support from your loved ones or spiritual practices to help manage any tension at the office.
- Keep an open mind. Your co-workers may have valuable suggestions for areas where you can improve. Respect their point of view. Be receptive to new ideas and alternative approaches. You might learn something that makes your job easier.
- Look for the humour in the situation. Even if you receive unjustified comments, you can make them easier to deal with by noticing the comic elements. For example, if a customer blames you for their expired coupons, respond tactfully without taking it too seriously.
- Take a compassionate view. Your supervisor may speak harshly about your performance because they’re stressed about pressures in their own life. Give others some leeway if you know they just came out of a difficult budget meeting or are experiencing challenges at home.
Still need help?
If you would like more advice, feel free to get in touch with the team at Your People Partners. We love to help!
- Your Step-by-Step Ultimate Guide to Job Interview SuccessCongratulations on scoring a job interview! Now it’s time to prepare yourself to showcase your best self and secure that dream job.… Read more: Your Step-by-Step Ultimate Guide to Job Interview Success
- Preparing for Your First Marketing Job Interview: Dos and Don’tsCongratulations on landing your first marketing job interview! This is an exciting opportunity to showcase your skills and passion for the field.… Read more: Preparing for Your First Marketing Job Interview: Dos and Don’ts
- Accounting Job Search: What Recruiters Look for in CandidatesAccounting is a highly specialised field requiring specific skill sets and knowledge. As such, recruiters looking for accounting professionals have a clear… Read more: Accounting Job Search: What Recruiters Look for in Candidates
- Recruiting in the Digital Age: Where to Look for InnovationRecruiting has been a vital part of any organisation since its inception. However, with the emergence of the digital age, the recruitment… Read more: Recruiting in the Digital Age: Where to Look for Innovation
- 6 Innovative Recruitment Techniques That Deliver ResultsRecruiting has become a complex and competitive process for companies. With the rise of social media, job boards, and other online platforms,… Read more: 6 Innovative Recruitment Techniques That Deliver Results
- Why working for a small company is terrific for your careerAre you looking for a new job role and wonder if a small company or an SME (small or medium-sized enterprise) could… Read more: Why working for a small company is terrific for your career